Transiting Los Angeles
Your guide to exploring Los Angeles by transit
Latest from Transiting Los Angeles
The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #5: La Sombrita
Last week saw the most hilarious transit debacle in recent memory, and we needed to talk about it. Join us as we discuss the fallout over the ill-conceived “La Sombrita,” take a closer look at the consultants who brought it to us, and share some insights into how something like this comes to be.
The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #4: The First Buses
On this day exactly 100 years ago, the City of Los Angeles held an election that resulted in the creation of the city’s first extensive bus network. In this episode, John talks about the early history of LA’s transit system and the strange events that led to the city’s first bus system.
Walking Tour of Claremont
Claremont is an exceptionally charming college town, with art museums, gardens, lovely architecture, and a cute downtown surrounding a convenient Metrolink stop.
Welcome to Transiting Los Angeles! We are a local travel site that highlights interesting places in the Los Angeles area that you can visit by using public transit. Each of our guides are extensively researched, complete with pictures and maps, so that you can use them to explore and learn more about the many fascinating places the city has to offer. You can read more about us on our About page, and see a full list of our guides by browsing our Archive.
Where we’ve been
If you’ve never ridden transit in L.A., read our How to Ride Transit guide for information and useful tips. Below, you can find links to all our guides to unique and wonderful places around Los Angeles!
- Walk through Ferndell, Griffith Park’s lush garden and year-round stream
- Elsewhere in Griffith Park, explore the eerie abandoned zoo
- Or hike up to Griffith Park’s hidden hilltop gardens
- Take a stairway walk to the High Tower, hidden above Hollywood
- Explore the Glendale Narrows, a section of the L.A. River home to trees and wildlife
- Take a tour of historic Union Station, the hub of L.A.’s transit network
- Enjoy the serenity of Los Angeles State Historic Park
- Take a walking tour of L.A.’s historic Chinatown neighborhood
- Check out Downtown’s strange, eclectic, and sometimes just bad public art
- Explore a relic of futuristic city planning unrealized: the Pedway
Northeast L.A. and Pasadena
- Visit the Southwest Museum, L.A.’s oldest museum and a ghost of its former self
- Afterwards, see the eclectic house of the Southwest Museum’s founder, El Alisal
- In Pasadena, hike down beneath the Colorado Street Bridge to the Lower Arroyo
- Explore delightful South Pasadena, with its Halloween charm
- Take a stairway walk through tranquil Mount Washington
- Hike to the top of Debs Park
- Enjoy a round of mini-golf and spot horses along the Arroyo Seco
- Take a walking tour of the Caltech campus
- When the New Year comes, enjoy the Rose Parade
- Check out the many interesting things to do along the Blue Line
- Explore beautiful Coastal San Pedro, with its many sights and rich history
- Take a walk through charming Northeast Santa Monica
- Hike across the Baldwin Hills, with its gorgeous parks and spectacular views
- Take a walking tour of the UCLA campus
- Explore the dazzling sights and obscura of the Museum of Jurassic Technology
- Read our essay on S.C. Mero, the creative street artist who brings whimsy to Downtown’s streets
- Admire the photographs of Leslie Frank, who captures the beauty of everyday life
- Explore the nostalgic beauty of L.A. through the eyes of Brenda Escobar
- Check out our interview with Elizabeth Ito, the creator of the fantastic children’s show City of Ghosts, and read our guide to the locations featured in the show
- Hear from Ashley Marie Garcia, publisher of the travel magazine Brown Girl Travels, of her experiences traveling and growing up in L.A.
The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #5: La Sombrita – Transiting Los Angeles
- The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #5: La Sombrita
- The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #4: The First Buses
- The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #3: The Future
- The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #2: “We didn’t wuss out the way Foothill Transit did”
- The Transiting Los Angeles Podcast – #1: Volcano
Unlike most travel content on the internet, we do not host advertising on our website, to maintain the high quality of our guides. Instead, we ask for the direct support of our readers. If you enjoy our work, please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber to our Patreon! Your contribution helps us keep Transiting Los Angeles going!
Buy our Merch
Another way to support us is to buy our wares! We have postcards and walking tour brochures available on our Etsy store!
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.